Chapel Surselva

Chapel Sogn Andriu, Lumbrein/Sogn Andriu

Weiler Sogn Andriu mit der gleichnamigen Kapelle
Kapelle Sogn Andriu

Show all 6 images

Weiler Sogn Andriu mit der gleichnamigen Kapelle
The baroque Sogn Andriu chapel was built in 1660 and consecrated in 1662. The chapel is completely painted and contains parts of the altar and sculptures that once stood in the parish church of Lumbrein. Key available.

Description

Key available from Alison Langley, tel. 0041 79 523 20 16

History and building history: The chapel was built in 1660 and consecrated in 1662. There is no mention of St. Andrew's Chapel in Lumbrein in the visitation record of 1643.Description of the building: The uniformly baroque, south-east-facing building consists of a rectangular nave and a recessed, square choir, both of which are covered with a cross vault. Square windows with arched reveals. The entrance has a smooth round arch and is located in the northwest front. The dates 1660 and 1666 on the façade. Subsequently raised uniform gabled roof.The tower stands on the north-east side of the choir, has round-arched sound windows and a baroque cupola.Wall paintings: The church is completely painted. There is a large drapery on the end wall of the choir, which served as a frame for the former altar. In the shield on the left St. Placidus and Sigisbert. In the background, the monastery church of Disentis before the new building and the Caschliun castle there. The high altar (made of wood) is a structure of four curved free columns and a curved pediment with canopy.Altar fragments: Two Gothic winged altars can be reconstructed from the altar pieces and sculptures set up in this chapel, as well as other fragments kept in the rectory, which certainly once stood in the parish church at Lumbrein.Bells: With inscriptions, 1660.

(Recorded by: Regiun Surselva)

Contact

Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.