Church Surselva
Evangelical Church Neukirch

Description
The inhabitants, 155 in number, who lived scattered on their farms in the area between Riimatte and Egschi, decided to build their own church in 1697, against the wishes of the people in the valley. This was so that they would not have to walk the up to eight kilometers to Safien Platz in all weathers, whether rain, snow, storm or sun. In just 34 days, the fathers of the family and their sons built the church with a small cemetery on a rocky outcrop under the guidance of local craftsmen. This is according to a commemorative document found in the knob of the church tower. All of them are listed by name along with their contributions to the construction.
The interior of the church was completed in 1698. The wooden Baroque pulpit with its inlays and scaled pilasters also dates from this time. It is the oldest pulpit of the three Safier churches. A flat slatted ceiling covers the nave, while the choir stands under a barrel vault with stitched caps. The gallery was built in 1747. In its simplicity, the church meets the Reformation requirement that a place of worship must be simple so that nothing distracts from the word of God.
Map
Evangelical Church Neukirch
Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.