Church Disentis Sedrun

Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, Sumvitg

Pfarrkirche St. Johannes der Täufer, Sumvitg (oua_61979530_image)
The oldest records about the parish church of Sumvitg date back to the ninth and tenth centuries. At that time, the church was dedicated to Saint Columban. Emperor Charlemagne (+814) donated the church to the successor of Bishop Tello, who in turn bequeathed the church to the Disentis Abbey. A new building and three altars were consecrated on June 13, 1633.

Description

This church replaced a small predecessor building that had become too small for the growing congregation. In 1670, the new and imposing tower was built. The reconstruction was made possible by a generous donation from Landrichter Clau Maissen. Between 1687 and 1748, Capuchins administered the parish. During this time, Sumvitg was the main center of the Rhaetian Mission. In 1785, a fire destroyed the entire interior, the frescoes and stuccoes, as well as the seven-part bell set. During the reconstruction, two front chapels were added, and the nave was fitted with a plasterboard ceiling. In 1930, the parish church received a new set of bells, with the largest weighing 4,048 kg and dedicated to St. John the Baptist. In 1938, a major renovation and transformation of the parish church took place. The nave was extended by 5.5 meters. During the renovation of the portal, it was beautified with images by Aluis Carigiet. In the last renovation (1984/1986), most of the changes from the 1930s were undone.

The church, which is oriented to the east and surrounded by a large cemetery, consists of a single-nave structure. There are three chapels inside the church: two are oriented to the north, and one is to the south. The chancel is recessed, three-sided, and vaulted with a barrel ceiling with lunettes. Above the nave, there is a pointed arched ceiling made of plaster. The prominent and Sgraffito-decorated tower faces north. The two-story bell chamber is highlighted by cornices and pilasters and is topped with a high ascending dome.

Map

Parish Church of St. John the Baptist, Sumvitg

Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.