Church Surselva

Parish church of St. Peter and Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen

Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen (oua_64794407_image)
Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen

Show all 7 images

Pfarrkirche St. Peter und Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen
Although this late Gothic building was damaged in the village fire of 1740, it was essentially preserved until 1904. The entire complex was then rebuilt with the exception of the tower.

Description

History of the church

St. Peter's Church was first mentioned as a royal church in the Carolingian imperial charter of around 840. Otto I donated the church to the diocese of Chur in 956. No parts of this early medieval building remain, but the tower from the Romanesque period, 1200. On 30.04.1406, an indulgence was granted in Obersaxen on the occasion of the consecration of the church. It is not certain whether the indulgence is connected with a building project. This also applies to the next two consecrations in 1441 and 1473, when the church and choir, including three altars, were newly consecrated. On the other hand, the two subsequent consecrations are certainly related to the late Gothic reconstruction of 1500. The parish church was consecrated again in 1509. First, the choir was probably completely rebuilt and then the nave was rebuilt. Both times, St. Peter is the sole title of the church, but St. Paul already appears as co-patron of the high altar. Although this late Gothic building was damaged in the village fire of 1740, it was essentially preserved until 1904. Above the east-facing choir was a two-and-a-half bay star vault of the same design as that of St. Martin. The nave was once covered by a wooden ceiling, which was replaced by a flat plaster ceiling after the fire. The entire complex was rebuilt in 1904/05, with the exception of the tower.

Description of the building

The church was built in 1904/05 and the tower dates from the Romanesque period. Square light slits at the bottom, round-arched narrow windows above. Two-part arched windows on the top floor. An octagonal pointed spire above eyelash arches with arched windows.

Earlier furnishings

In 1643, the church had a Gothic high altar and two Baroque side altars. Three new wooden altars were built after the village fire in 1740. Parts of the old altars can be found in the chapels of Miraniga and the chapel of St. George.Worship objects: Two Gothic chalices, three Baroque chalices with St. Peter and Paul.Bells: From the years 1740 and 1743 with inscriptions.

(Text recorded by: Regiun Surselva)

Contact

Parish church of St. Peter and Paul Meierhof, Obersaxen

7134 Obersaxen

Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.