Church Surselva
Catholic parish church of St. Valentin, Pigniu


Show all 6 images

Description
History
The earliest information about the church comes from a consecration letter - recorded during the visitation of 1643 - about the consecration of the capellla et altare in Benig (Panix) in honorem St. Valentini on August 5, 1465. Another consecration took place in 1522 (also recorded in 1643).
Description of the building
The east-facing church consists of a rectangular nave and a choir closed on three sides. Above the nave is an arched plaster slatted ceiling. There are two unequal windows in the south wall, as in the chancel, and an oculus with fish blisters in the west wall.The tower stands in front of the nave without any bracing. Semicircular closed narrow windows, partially bricked up. The clock face dates from 1865. Tent roof made of stone slabs.The sacristy: was subsequently added to the chancel end without a dressing.Bells: “La nossa cumpagnia anno MDCCII”. This sentence is the oldest Rhaeto-Romanic bell inscription in Graubünden.Fragments of a wooden sculpture, presumably of the Virgin Mary, can be found in Disentis Monastery.
(Text recorded by: Regiun Surselva)
Map
Catholic parish church of St. Valentin, Pigniu
Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.