Chapel Surselva
Chapel of St. Martin / S. Martin, Brigels


Show all 3 images

Description
History: St. Martin's Chapel is not mentioned among the branches of the parish church in 1185 and does not appear in any other medieval documents. New construction of the spire, 1736.
Description of the building: East-facing chapel, a shallow choir tapering towards the depths, vaulted with a barrel vault and separated from the nave by a semicircular arch. Above the nave is a late Gothic ceiling. Three round-arched windows with beveled arched reveals. The round-arched entrance to the west. The choir is apparently unconnected to the nave. Uniform saddleback roof.
The tower: Romanesque. Stands in line with the west façade and has round-arched sound windows with supports and transoms. High, octagonal pointed spire.
Wall paintings: They are similar to those in St. Jacob's and date from 1515.
The Gothic winged altar, dated 1518, with the titular saint St. Martin in the middle. The wings are painted inside and out. St. Catherine and Barbara on the inside, the three kings on the outside. The back is completely painted with St. George, the dragon slayer.
Bell: With inscription, 1819.
(Text recorded by: Regiun Surselva)
The chapel key is available from the Brigels information office or from the Familienhotel Alpina.
Contact
Chapel of St. Martin / S. Martin, Brigels
7165 Brigels
Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.