Chapel Surselva

Chapel Sogn Roc e Sogn Bistgaun, Vella

Kapelle Sogn Roc
Kapelle Sogn Roc

Show all 11 images

Fresko Strahlenkranzmadonna
The chapel on the village square was donated by the magistrate Gallus von Mont during a plague epidemic and consecrated in 1592. The façade was designed by Alois Carigiet during a renovation in 1940. The interior is the work of Hans Ardüser.

Description

The chapel is open daily from 08:00 - 18:00.

The chapel on the village square was donated by the magistrate Gallus von Mont during a plague epidemic and consecrated in 1592.

The Grisons artist Alois Carigiet designed the new façade with the two saints Christophorus and Mauritius (2), the patron saint of Lugnez, during the renovation and enlargement in 1940. The exterior wall facing the street shows a heavily restored fresco (3) by the hand of the itinerant painter Hans Ardüser with the Madonna and the two saints.

The interior of the chapel is also by Ardüser (1557-1617). Particularly noteworthy is the small winged altar with the members of the de Mont family, whose castle is located next to the chapel. It was commissioned by the founder for the Protestant painter. In the central picture, the saints Roc and Bistgaun are depicted next to Mary.

A common motif appears on the predella, the Veronica's shawl held by two angels (6). The gable painting (7) with the Crucifixion, on the other hand, was probably painted by Hans Jakob Greutter* from Brixen in South Tyrol.

*Hans Jakob Greutter: See also Cumbel/Val Gronda, Vella/Pleif, Lumbrein/Uors and Vals

Church guide published by Peda Verlag, together with the Pleif church, is available.

Text and pictures: Walter Müller (wmueller@hispeed.ch) in collaboration with Surselva Tourism.

Contact

Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

Outdooractive Logo

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.