Church Surselva
Pilgrimage Church of St. Maria Licht in Acladira, Trun


Description
History
An ancient sacrificial site is believed to have existed on the terrace of Acladira. The foundation stone for the Marian chapel was laid in 1663. The consecration with three altars took place in 1672 in honor of St. Maria zum Licht. The church was completed in its raw form in 1682 and consecrated in 1684. The master builder was Christianus Nichus. In the building erected in 1685, the Disentis monastery printing press operated from 1687 to 1691. From 1679, for around 200 years, the abbot of Disentis appointed the benefice holders.
Architectural Description
The present church consists of three parts: 1) the chancel, 2) the ante-chancel, and 3) the nave. The east-facing chancel is closed on three sides and vaulted with a barrel vault, adapted to the polygon by a half-dome. The longitudinal sides feature pointed-arch windows, and the end wall has an oculus. A Gothic-arched door leads to the sacristy in the north wall. Above the nave, there is a barrel-shaped wooden ceiling resting on simple beams. On the façade, there are three small niches with the date 1683.
The tower is located on the north side of the ante-chancel and is crowned by a very slender spire rising from pinnacles. To the east, the sacristy was remodeled in 1938/38.
Stucco: The decoration is concentrated in the chancel.
Paintings
The paintings on the chancel vault, framed by stucco borders painted on canvas, are notable for their iconographic significance. The central image depicts Mary allowing the milk from her breast to flow into a sacrificial bowl, which also collects the blood of Christ. In the ante-chancel, the niches display the holy mystics, St. Gertrude and her teacher Mechthildis.
In the nave, the windows are framed with architectural motifs and flanked by pairs of the four Evangelists and the Latin Church Fathers.
Altars
All the altars are made of wood. The high altar dates from around 1740-1750. Instead of an altarpiece, the grace image of a Madonna (with drapery) dominates the altar. The two side altars in the ante-chancel form simple, two-columned aedicules, created around 1673. The side altars in the nave are unique, not flanked by columns but instead by pilasters and topped with pylon-like structures.
Furnishings
The pulpit dates to around 1884. The back wall features a painting of the Marriage of Mary. On the north wall, there is a crucifix of excellent modeling and strong expression.
Liturgical Objects and Vestments
- Baroque chalice, after 1701
- A chasuble made of white silk, embroidered with colorful flowers and gold tendrils, 18th century
Bells
The bells were cast by Grassmayr in Feldkirch in 1862 and bear various inscriptions.
Tomb Slabs
The tomb slabs feature the coats of arms of the Lombriser and Fontana families.
(Text recorded by: Regiun Surselva)
Map
Pilgrimage Church of St. Maria Licht in Acladira, Trun
Responsible for this content: Surselva Tourism.

This website uses technology and content from the Outdooractive platform.